10 May 2006

5 Boro Bike Tour

Last weekend, on Sunday, I did the 5 Boro Bike Tour with two of my dear pals. It was 40 miles through all five boroughs, and included a bridge I had not yet crossed, the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. Total mileage for the day was near 50 with all the to and fro.



The organization could have been better. There were long sections where we had to walk our bikes, and getting food and water at the rest stops was impossible. And I think the organizers should have stated some rules of the road - for example, some people thought they were suddenly bike messengers and sped through the crowd, weaving and darting. One guy even crashed into a runner in Central Park (who then proceeded to start beating his ass, I'm not kidding). And other folks thought they were on a sight seeing tour, not watching where they were going, cashing into people, stopping in the middle of the road to adjust the jackets they had tied to their seatposts but were now getting tangled in the spokes. A simple, "slower riders keep right" rule would saved a lot of people a lot of road rash.

I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't do it again.

No comments: